Biodiversity + Renewables
What is the initiative?
The #BetterTogether Biodiversity + Renewables initiative aims to deliver better outcomes in the intersection between biodiversity and renewable energy infrastructure.
To achieve this, RE Alliance and the Energy Charter are collaborating through our Collaboration Memorandum of Understanding to:
- Build a container for safe discussion and genuine relationships between conservation groups, environmental groups, energy businesses and renewable developers in Queensland
- Develop a shared understanding of the risks and opportunities in the intersection between biodiversity and renewable energy infrastructure through a series of ongoing workshops
- Sharing diverse perspectives across the collaborators
Who is collaborating on this initiative?
Collaborators include RE Alliance, Cairns and Far North Qld Environmental Centre, with support from Powerlink, CS Energy, Energy Qld, CleanCo, Stanwell and a broad group of conservation groups and renewable energy developers.
What are the workstreams?
We currently have two collaborative workstreams:
- Mapping the Biodiversity Constraints for Energy Development in QLD (led by Cairns and Far North Qld Environmental Centre)
- Better Practice Biodiversity and Renewables Guidelines co-design (led by RE Alliance)