Knock to Stay Connected Customer Code
The Knock to Stay Connected Customer Code is a nationally consistent, customer-led approach aimed at keeping customers connected to their energy.
Retailers, networks and community organisations are working together to hand deliver information to customers on where they can get support to keep their energy on.
National trials have demonstrated that up to 80% of disconnections can be avoided through this human-centred approach.
The Customer Code aims to:
- Highlight clear commitments to customers by providing them with support to help them avoid energy disconnection
- Build better practice guidelines on how to implement Knock to Stay Connected across energy networks and retailers to ensure better customer outcomes
- Develop national consistent business processes and sustainable support
- Standardised measurement of customer and industry impacts and outcomes
- Implement independent governance mechanisms to foster an ongoing community of organisations and customer representatives to share better practice (Customer Code Council).
For examples of Customer Code information provided to customers: see our Practical Customer Notices at the Energy Charter Content Hub.
Knock to Stay Connected Resources
Knock to Stay Connected Leave Behind Help Sheets
This Customer Code aims to put the customer at the centre and drive better outcomes in circumstances where customers are at risk of disconnection for not being able to pay an energy bill. Below are templates for information to be left behind if a crew member is unable to speak to a customer face to face on their visit to the premises.
Learn more about the Customer Code…
In June 2023, we celebrated the official launch of the Customer Code. At the launch Fiona Guthrie, CEO Financial Counselling Australia hosted a Q&A with our expert panel covering:
- The innovative and collaborative trials between retailers and distributors that led to the Customer Code
- How cost-of-living pressures are creating increased vulnerability
- How the Customer Code will benefit customers in vulnerable circumstances
Our Knock to Stay Connected Customer Code Q&A Panel: Jane Pires, Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland, John Cleland, CEO Essential Energy, Mark Brownfield, Chief Customer Officer EnergyAustralia and Thea Bray, Public Interest Advocacy Centre.
Watch the full launch video below to learn more.
Knock to Stay Connected Signatories
Interested in getting involved? Please contact Anne Whitehouse, Independent Administrator.