National Customer Code for Energy Brokers, Consultants & Retailers
The National Customer Code for Energy Brokers, Consultants and Retailers aims to give large customers confidence that we are working together in their best interests and delivering value to them. The Customer Code will also address some of the concerns about third party intermediaries’ selling practices raised in the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Retail Electricity Pricing Inquiry Report 2018.
The National Customer Code is governed by the Customer Code Council (CCC) and administered by Anne Whitehouse, Sales Assured Limited. The inaugural CCC is made up of:
- John Smith, National Customer Code Council (Independent Chair)
- Anne Whitehouse, Sales Assured Limited (Administrator/Participant)
- Sabiene Heindl, Energy Charter (Observer)
- Etienne Quayle, ECWA (Broker)
- Adam Bronks, Energy Marketplace (Broker)
- Alan Gill, Choice Energy Pty Ltd (Broker)
- Darrin Crompton, CS Energy (Retailer)
- Doug Payne, Make it Cheaper (Broker)
- Joseph Arena, Arena Energy Consulting (Consultant)
- Lauren Walton, AGL (Retailer)
- Sharon Musker, Wise Up Energy Solutions (Consultant)
- Yelda Niazmand, Energy Australia (Retailer)
- Anthony Cooper, Business Australia (Customer Representative)
- Emily Wood, EUAA (Customer Representative)
Sign up to the National Customer Code
Signing up to the National Customer Code is voluntary. If you’re an energy broker, consultant or retailer, get in touch with Anne Whitehouse via firstname.lastname@example.org or click button below.
Search by clicking a question below or scroll down the page.
How does it work?
The Code is voluntary, and all energy brokers, consultants and retailers are welcome to sign up. In signing up to the Code, they are committing to:
- Customer centricity – putting customers at the centre of their business and making decisions based on what is in the customers’ best interests
- Transparency – providing clear, accurate and relevant information to help customers make informed choices
- Fit for purpose – ensuring that products and services are responsible, accurate and meet customer expectations
- Accountability – being responsive to customer needs and taking prompt, appropriate action if a customer makes a complaint to ensure continuous improvement
An independent Administrator will run the day-to-day activities of the Code and the Code is overseen by a Code Council made up of representatives of energy brokers, consultants, retailers and customers.
What’s the customer benefit?
If you’re a large customer of an energy broker or consultant, then the Code provides you with more confidence and peace of mind that your energy broker, consultant and retailer are:
- Putting you at the centre of what they do
- Acting in your best interests with honesty and integrity
- Committing to being knowledgeable, transparent and professional
- Providing you with fit-for-purpose advice based on accurate and complete information
- Meeting industry best practice standards
- Understanding the energy market and with the requisite knowledge to help you
- Growing trust and reputation across the industry
- Collaborating across the energy industry to work better together
Who should sign up?
Signing up the Code is voluntary. The more signatories, the better for customers and growing trust and reputation in the industry. If you’re an energy broker, consultant or retailer, the benefits of the Code may include:
- Differentiating yourself by publicly committing to “doing the right thing by your customers”
- Demonstrating practically that you are working in the best interests of your customers
- Increasing your accountability to customers and partners to do the right thing
- Ensuring best practice within your business
- Improving your reputation and standing
- Lifting the standards of the industry to meet customer and community expectations
- Being part of a cohort who are aligned in their values and having a voice to call out actions which go against the principles of the Code
- Networking with other signatories, partners and supporters
- Access to customers’ insights and consistent customer facing information
- An opportunity to shape the future of the market
To sign up, get in touch with Anne Whitehouse via email@example.com